We take maximum care. You receive maximum respect.

When you rent from Max Property Management, we give it our maximum best to look after you. We believe one of the best things we can give our property owners is happy tenants. We value your custom and if there is anything you need from us, please let us know.

Max Property Management prides itself on offering a selection of well-presented properties to rent for both short-term and long-term rental. Contact us if you are interested in any of our properties.



We recommend viewing our properties before applying. Viewing times are listed on TradeMe under the property advertisement.

If you want to apply to rent a house from us, complete the online application form by clicking here:  

Click here to apply

Maintenance Request Form

Please download and complete the form providing as much detail as you can about the nature of the problem or repair needed. 

Download Maintenance Form Maintenance Request Form (PDF)

Tenants FAQ

  • If I have an out of hours emergency, what number do I call?

    If you have an out of hours emergency to do with plumbing, sewerage, electrical, hot water, and need to reach Max Property, please call 03 337 3132. Note that if an emergency call out is made for a non-urgent repair, a fee may be charged.

  • What do I do if I lock myself out of my home?

    During office hours (9-5 weekdays) keys may be picked up from our office at 34 Takahe Drive in Cashmere. Call first to confirm the key is in the office and keys must be promptly returned. If you require keys to be dropped to your home, and it is convenient for us to do so, a charge of $50 plus GST will be applied.

    Outside of working hours you will need to call a locksmith to gain access to your home and please note that all locksmith costs for lockouts are tenant responsibility.

    Our recommended locksmiths are Security Installation Services on (027 437 5006) available 8am to 11pm, and Ross Galt (03 365 0298) available 24/7. 


  • I have a maintenance problem, what do I do?

    Contact your property manager directly at Max Property Management and let them know. Alternatively complete our maintenance form and let us know by email this way.

  • With regards to maintenance, what am I responsible for?

    As a tenant of the property you are responsible to maintain the property in the same or similar condition as the house was entrusted to you at the start of your tenancy. Fair wear and tear during your stay is expected, but you are responsible for any damage to the property beyond this.

    It is the tenant's responsibility to:

    • Replace any blown light bulbs with similar quality bulbs throughout the property
    • Replace smoke alarm batteries when needed. Note that new smoke alarms that we install have long life batteries that should last for 5 to 10 years.
    • Repair fuses if blown
    • Replace cracked or broken windows and screens (unless the incident is reported to police as a break in or vandalism)
    • Clean heat pump filters monthly when used
    • Maintaining gardens and lawns (it is important to mow, weed and water regularly)
  • With regards to maintenance, what is the owner responsible for?

    The owner is responsible to make repairs to any building faults, plumbing, electrical, heating, and general repairs considered fair wear and tear.

  • How do I pay my rent?

    You pay by automatic payment usually once per week to the bank account number we provide to you. We require a single payment from groups of tenant rather than multiple smaller payments. Please ensure you include your name and house street address in the payment information so that we can allocate your rent to you correctly.

  • When do I pay my rent?

    Typically you pay rent 1 week in advance. For example if your rent period is from Saturday to Friday, you need to pay your rent at the latest on the Friday before the Saturday it is due.

  • What happens if I miss a rent payment or I know I cannot pay my rent?

    Please contact your property manager as soon as possible if you have, or think you will, miss a rent payment. We have a zero tolerance of rent arrears. Failure to pay rent by the due date may result in proceedings being taken to terminate your tenancy.

  • How much will the bond be?

    Typically the bond will be the maximum allowed under the Residential Tenancies Act of 1986, which is 4 weeks of rent. 

  • What is the bond used for?

    Your rental bond will be lodged with the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE). The bond acts as security against damage or undue wear and tear. The bond will be refunded once we have completed a property inspection and any work required has been completed and paid for. The bond is not to be used to pay your last few weeks of rent and you must keep paying your rent through to your last day in the property.

  • What do I need to pay before I move in?

    Typically you will need to pay 4 weeks of bond, 1 week of rent in advance, and a letting fee of 1 week of rent plus GST.

  • Do you charge a re-letting fee for renewal of a 12-month fixed term tenancy?

    No, absolutely not.

  • What do I do if I want to vacate the property and I am on a fixed term tenancy?

    Fixed term tenancy: In accordance with the Residential Tenancy Act 1986, fixed term tenancies are a legal agreement between both parties for a specific length of time, and cannot simply be ended with notice. You may be able to break or end your lease early if a suitable replacement tenant can be found to take over your lease (that satisfies Max Property Management tenant criteria). Please note that there is no guarantee you will be able to break lease.

    Before we do anything we will require written confirmation from you that you wish to break lease and will pay the fees involved. The cost to break lease is $59 plus GST for advertising and an administration fee of one weeks rent plus GST. There is a fee of $50 + GST for a single person to be removed from a tenancy agreement (i.e. replacement of one tenant in a student flat).

    You will also need to continue to pay rent until a new tenant enters into a tenancy agreement. Both you and your landlord/property manager are able to look for a tenant, but any suitable tenant found must follow the correct legal processes when entering into a new tenancy agreement. 

    Periodic tenancy: Please see the separate question on this topic.

  • What do I do if I want to vacate the property and I am on a periodic term tenancy?

    Periodic tenancy: If you have a periodic tenancy, you have to give us at least 21-days’ notice to vacate the property in writing (email is sufficient). If there is a group situation, notice to vacate from one tenant will be taken to assume that all tenants are in agreement.

    Your property manager will conduct a final inspection during your last few days at the property. Ideally one of the tenants will be present to hear or discuss what additional cleaning needs to be done. We also need to make arrangements to receive all keys, security passes, and garage-door openers on the last day of the tenancy. Failure to return these items may result in you being charged rent until these items are returned. In order to receive a speedy bond refund, please ensure the property is left in a clean and tidy state and rent is paid.

    Fixed term tenancy: Please see the separate question on this topic.

  • How often is the property inspected?

    Typically these are performed 4 weeks after you move in and every 3 months thereafter by your property manager. However, note that under the Residential Tenancy Act 1986, landlords can inspect properties between 8am and 7pm after giving 48 hours’ notice and not more often than once every four weeks.

  • Do I need insurance cover while I am renting?

    Yes, absolutely. We recommend that you arrange insurance for your contents with a policy that has a public liability extension.

  • What happens if my contact details change?

    Please inform your property manager in writing of any changes to your contact information. 

  • Who maintains the gardens at my property?

    It is your responsibility as the tenant to maintain the garden unless a special agreement was made at the start of the tenancy. Minor trimming of large shrubs or trees may be performed by the tenant, but removal of large branches or pruning that will change the shape of shrubs or trees is the landlord’s responsibility. Please contact your property manager if you are unsure.


You have been the best property managers I have dealt with by a country mile!

- Kath